When you live in the UK, it often won’t be your first choice of holiday destination. It really should be up there as one of your top considerations. It’s cheaper than going abroad, there are some beautiful destinations and the UK is full of places to explore. What’s more, if you have pets, it’s a great idea to be able to go on holiday with them. A run down a stunning Cornish beach with your dog sounds pretty idyllic, doesn’t it?
Think about some destinations in the UK that might appeal to you depending on the kinds of holidays you like. If cities are you thing, maybe consider London, Cardiff or Edingbugh. For beautiful countryside, you have plenty of choice. Think about the Cotswolds or perhaps the Brecon Beacons. Enjoy some gorgeous walks along the beach in places like Dorset or Cornwall – and you may even get some nice weather down south.
Flights are often the most expensive part of a holiday so anything you can do to keep the cost down is always welcome. You can get flights at very low prices as long as you know when are where to look. Here are some top tips:
- Search on price comparison sites. These will compare flights from different airlines so you can see the various prices next to each other.
- Book outside of school holidays (as long as you don’t have children of course!) This will reduce the price of flying significantly.
- Keep an eye on flight prices. There are apps available that will tell you how likely it is for a flight to go up or down in price. It then alerts you to price changes.
- Book budget airlines. They may not be as comfortable, but budget airlines are a great money saving device. Even long haul flights can be bought at a fraction of the price when you choose a cheap airline.
A Mediterranean holiday is highly popular, as there is good weather, beautiful views and lots of good destination to visit. Families, couples and groups of friends alike can all enjoy a Mediterranean holiday and make the most of the destinations on offer. Here are some of the best:
- Spain and Majorca. Spain has so many options, one reason why it has remained popular for so long. Enjoy some culture in cities like Barcelona and Valencia, or enjoy a seaside break on the Costa del Sol or Costa Brava.
- Greece and the Greek islands. Greece can boast beautiful weather and beautiful scenery as well. The capital, Athens, has a lot of history to explore, as have islands like Crete.
- Cyprus. This is a great place to party as well as to relax. Ayia Napa is known the world over for its nights clubs and bars, but the beaches are beautiful too.
The world is full of fascinating places to see and explore. There are so many places to visit, how do you decide where to go next? Here are some ideas to help you decide on the perfect holiday for you:
- Think about what you like to do on holiday. For example, if you enjoy walking you may be better off going somewhere with a mild climate that isn’t too hot. If you like food, drink and culture, find a city that has all your favourite things.
- Consider your budget. Some destinations will have lots of expensive resorts and will inevitably have much higher prices to go with them. If you are looking for a more budget holiday, see if there are cheaper areas you can go to.
- Do your research on destinations. Check travel websites and books to look at what a destination has to offer you. Once you have a good overview, start looking more in depth and find hotels/ flights/ activities.
It really is never too early to start planning. Even if you don’t decide to book anything just yet, you can start thinking about your holiday as soon as possible – it’s rather exciting to do it this way too! Here is a step-by-step guide to help you plan the perfect 2017 trip:
- Make a list of destinations. This should be made up of the places you most want to visit in 2017.
- Check the travel prices. Keep these saved in a document so that it is easy to amend it and make sure it is up to date.
- See how much holiday you can take from work. Some trips will need more time, especially if there are multiple flights that you will need to take.
- Once you have picked a destination based on travel requirements, research it thoroughly. How easy is it to get around? Will you be staying in a hotel that is close to all the sites? What do you want to do when you are there? Again, it might be worth making a list to decide on your itinerary.