Cost will inevitably come into any decision about a holiday. There is no getting away from this important factor, as you will be spending quite a lot of money on going away. Sometimes, you might book a holiday based purely on cost, because you have seen a good deal or found some cheap flights that are too good to turn down.
This is a good way to book a holiday sometimes, but it’s also worth saving up and going to the places that you really want to visit. If you have always wanted to visit New York, for example, or perhaps somewhere in Asia, then save up. Don’t be tempted by a cheap holiday – take the time to save and to go to the places you have always dreamed of seeing.
Make a list of your dream destinations and then keep track of the ones you visit. It will help you to know what you are aiming for.
Many items are currently in the pre-Christmas sales, but what about holidays? When is the best time to book to get good discounts? Is it possible to find a time of year when holiday prices will be at their lowest?
As with anything else, there do tend to be sales on holidays. They might be during different times of year though, such as the January sales when holiday sales may be slower. It will depend on what is more beneficial for the big holiday companies. Whenever their sales are likely to be of a lower volume, it will benefit them to put the prices down on their flights and holiday packages.
It is also worth looking for low prices around the times that airlines release their flights – usually around 6-9 months before the flight itself. This is when all airlines will be in competition with each other to secure the lowest prices, so you can get a good deal.
When you live in the UK, it often won’t be your first choice of holiday destination. It really should be up there as one of your top considerations. It’s cheaper than going abroad, there are some beautiful destinations and the UK is full of places to explore. What’s more, if you have pets, it’s a great idea to be able to go on holiday with them. A run down a stunning Cornish beach with your dog sounds pretty idyllic, doesn’t it?
Think about some destinations in the UK that might appeal to you depending on the kinds of holidays you like. If cities are you thing, maybe consider London, Cardiff or Edingbugh. For beautiful countryside, you have plenty of choice. Think about the Cotswolds or perhaps the Brecon Beacons. Enjoy some gorgeous walks along the beach in places like Dorset or Cornwall – and you may even get some nice weather down south.
Flights are often the most expensive part of a holiday so anything you can do to keep the cost down is always welcome. You can get flights at very low prices as long as you know when are where to look. Here are some top tips:
- Search on price comparison sites. These will compare flights from different airlines so you can see the various prices next to each other.
- Book outside of school holidays (as long as you don’t have children of course!) This will reduce the price of flying significantly.
- Keep an eye on flight prices. There are apps available that will tell you how likely it is for a flight to go up or down in price. It then alerts you to price changes.
- Book budget airlines. They may not be as comfortable, but budget airlines are a great money saving device. Even long haul flights can be bought at a fraction of the price when you choose a cheap airline.
A Mediterranean holiday is highly popular, as there is good weather, beautiful views and lots of good destination to visit. Families, couples and groups of friends alike can all enjoy a Mediterranean holiday and make the most of the destinations on offer. Here are some of the best:
- Spain and Majorca. Spain has so many options, one reason why it has remained popular for so long. Enjoy some culture in cities like Barcelona and Valencia, or enjoy a seaside break on the Costa del Sol or Costa Brava.
- Greece and the Greek islands. Greece can boast beautiful weather and beautiful scenery as well. The capital, Athens, has a lot of history to explore, as have islands like Crete.
- Cyprus. This is a great place to party as well as to relax. Ayia Napa is known the world over for its nights clubs and bars, but the beaches are beautiful too.